Preservation rhinoplasty is an approach to rhinoplasty that focuses on preserving the natural structures of your nose to achieve your aesthetic and functional goals. Unlike traditional rhinoplasty, which often involves more extensive cartilage and bone restructuring, preservation rhinoplasty seeks to protect the underlying nasal structure.
This technique emphasizes maintaining your nose's existing structural integrity while enhancing its appearance. This is different from structural rhinoplasty, which involves strengthening or even reconstructing the nose’s existing cartilage, when necessary, due to deformity, weakness, or previous surgical changes.
Being well-versed in both techniques, Dr. Pero often employs a hybrid approach involving preservation and structural techniques to help his patients achieve their goals. This helps create a unique surgical plan that is individualized and avoids a cookie-cutter-type approach.
Preservation rhinoplasty is an excellent option for those who wish to improve the appearance of their nose while preserving its natural-appearing look and function.
It is particularly beneficial for those who want to address aesthetic concerns, such as:
- Dorsal hump (bump on the bridge)
- Crooked nose
- Drooping tip
- Bulbous or wide nasal tip
With this rhinoplasty technique, Dr. Pero can help you improve the appearance of your nose without sacrificing its nasal function.
To determine if preservation rhinoplasty is suitable for you, book a consultation with a rhinoplasty expert like Dr. Pero. He will evaluate your unique anatomy and goals to provide personalized recommendations for your individual case.
If you're considering rhinoplasty but wish to retain the natural charm of your nose while enhancing its aesthetics, preservation rhinoplasty offers a refined and nuanced solution.
Preservation rhinoplasty is a patient-focused method that prioritizes the preservation of natural tissues and configuration of the nose while effectively addressing both cosmetic and functional concerns.
During a preservation rhinoplasty procedure, there are three areas of focus.
1. Bridge (Dorsum) Preservation
Preservation rhinoplasty focuses on maintaining the integrity of the nasal bridge or dorsum, ensuring its natural structure remains intact. It's an ideal approach for patients looking to address bumps or irregularities on the nose while maintaining a natural appearance of the bridge.
During the procedure, Dr. Pero can address the bump delicately by removing excess tissue from beneath the bump, allowing it to lower and straighten. This creates a smoother bridge while preserving the natural smooth contour of the dorsum.
2. Tip Preservation
The preservation of the nasal tip is another important aspect of this technique. Rather than resorting to extensive cartilage removal, preservation rhinoplasty focuses on maintaining the natural shape of the nasal cartilage.
The technique is used to achieve the desired look without cutting and dissecting too much cartilage to change or augment the nasal shape. This approach allows for subtle adjustments to the tip, resulting in an improved, natural aesthetic without compromising the fundamental structure.
3. Skin & Soft Tissue Preservation
With preservation rhinoplasty, our aim is to conserve as much skin, soft tissue, ligaments, and fatty tissue as possible. These natural components play a significant role in your nose's appearance and function.
Based on your nose’s structure and needed change, Dr. Pero makes minimal adjustments to achieve a harmonious aesthetic and improve function. This approach ensures that your nose retains its unique character while still addressing your specific concerns.
The benefits of preservation rhinoplasty include the following:
- Preserve a natural appearance. Preservation rhinoplasty aims to enhance your nose while retaining its unique characteristics. This means you'll still look like yourself after the procedure, just with improved aesthetics.
- Maintain function. Preservation rhinoplasty prioritizes the functional aspect of your nose. This technique ensures that your breathing remains unobstructed and may even improve after the procedure.
- Minimal scarring. Preservation rhinoplasty typically results in less noticeable scarring since it minimizes tissue removal. Incisions are often hidden within the natural creases of your nose.
- Quicker recovery time. With traditional rhinoplasty, the surgeon typically manipulates the soft tissue to extract bone and cartilage. The soft tissue contains blood vessels and lymphatics responsible for blood circulation and healing. However, with preservation rhinoplasty, there is minimal restructuring. It thus results in a quicker recovery period.
- Customized approach for each patient. Each patient's nose is unique, and preservation rhinoplasty allows for a highly customized approach to address individual concerns and desires. Dr. Pero will discuss and assess your requirements in detail during your consultation, customizing the exact approach to meet your specific needs.
Here is a comprehensive breakdown of the typical steps involved in the preservation rhinoplasty procedure.
You will have an in-depth consultation with Dr. Pero before your procedure. Discuss your objectives, concerns, and expectations with Dr. Pero during this time. He will conduct a thorough evaluation of your nasal structure and overall health. He will also provide personalized recommendations tailored to your specific needs with computer imaging of your clinical photographs, demonstrating potential outcomes.
Preservation rhinoplasty is typically performed under general anesthesia, ensuring your comfort and safety throughout the procedure.
Dr. Pero makes precise incisions using one of two approaches:
- Incisions are made inside the nostrils (the closed technique)
- A small external incision (the open technique) is used
These incisions grant access to the nasal structures, allowing for reshaping and repositioning while ensuring precision.
A defining characteristic of preservation rhinoplasty is its emphasis on preserving the natural elements of your nose. Rather than removing cartilage and bone, this technique centers on meticulously reshaping and repositioning these components to achieve the desired aesthetic outcomes.
The outcome is a harmonious and subtle enhancement that retains your nose's innate features and character.
After the surgical process, Dr. Pero will close the incisions using a combination of removable and dissolvable sutures. Depending on your case, a splint or cast (but no packing) may be applied to provide additional support to your nose during the initial stages of healing. This step ensures the structural integrity of the nose as it heals.
After the procedure, most patients are able to return home the same day. It is imperative to follow the post-operative instructions provided to you to optimize your recovery. Avoid strenuous activities and the urge to blow your nose.
Please contact North Texas Facial Plastic Surgery to discover the possibilities of this transformative procedure and find out its suitability for your individual case.
If you are interested in talking to Dr. Pero about preservation rhinoplasty, call (214) 382-5100 to schedule a consultation.